UK Passport Renewal  |  UK Passport Renewals. Made Easy.

Unexpired visas

What happens if you have unexpired visas in your old passport? The straight forward answer is if you're renewing your passport, send a letter with your passport renewal application, stating you want passport returned intact.

Normally expired passport are returned with the ends clipped, and this sometimes damages visas in passport. So it is important to let the Passport Office know you want your passport back undamaged/unclipped.
If the visa is damaged in anyway it is no longer valid and cannot be used for traveling.

Remember to carry both passports if you want to use the visa in the previous passport.

You may also be interested in the following passport renewal articles:

What to do if you need your passport in 24 hours

What to do if you want to change name on your passport

What if you have unexpired visa's in your old passport

How long does it take to renew your passport

Beware of Passport Renewal scams

Find your nearest Passport Office

Need more help?

Call the passport adviceline for the following help:

  • General Enquiries
  • Passport Tracking
  • Urgent Passports
  • Help Filling Forms
  • Which Documents to Send
  • Photo & Signature Requirements
  • Application Timescales
  • Reporting Lost/Stolen Passport

Local Passport Offices